Thursday, December 11, 2008

Legendary Santa Clause or Coke Santa?

Do you call the old Jolly guy Santa? Kris Kringle? St. Nickolaus or just Saint Nick?

By any handle, Santa Clause is truly an outstanding, most substantial myth and character, complete with on-going dilemmas!

This legendary figure, Santa, is perpetual, still evolving, and if you don't believe me, do some searches and try to find a long-ago story of the origin of Santa Clause. You'll get hit with so many versions and aspects of the happy, Jolly, red-cheeked, gift-giver that you'll simply get overwhelmed.

That's what just happened to me! I had intended on posting about 3 of the most common 'Santa Clause' stories, give a Kris Kringle, a modern "Santa," and a Saint Nicholas version on the blog and then call my blogging done for the day.

However.....once I got searching, I realized that one could make an entire study, a very time-consuming and involved study of Santa mythology and origin that would take MONTHS to complete...and still

...not have completed a very conclusive project! That would be a project to begin in, say, February or no later than March. To be wrapped up in time for Christmas of the same year!

LOL

Wow, I didn't realize that the 'Coke Santa' joke is actually considered a myth now - and has gained due attention by the Snopes mythbusting/confirmation site, listed in detail on the fact-checking site. Yeah - the joke/comments about Coca-Cola having been the ones to 'start the Santa myth' go even further than this mention I'm making on my blog. The whole 'Coca-Cola-made-Santa' idea has VERSIONS, alternate explanations to it now, too...

Simply AMAZING!!

Now I have to go back to the drawing board and figure out which Santa to follow up on. Who would have thought that writing on an almost universally well-known and well-loved persona would get so COMPLEX right at the start?

I have to re-think on which Santa to blog about, and the considerations range all the way from Saint Nicholas of Myra to - Santa-Smurf!

Wow, Santa is everywhere already by this time of the year!

Ho Ho Ho

No comments: